HRIC urges the Chinese government to guarantee the safety and well-being of the detained children and to release them to their families, and to invite an independent expert to conduct an investigation into this incident. In support of action urged by the International Campaign for Tibet, HRIC also:
- Calls on the U.S. government and governments to lodge official objections
with the PRC government regarding its flagrant violation of human rights
standards, which resulted in the shootings and at least one death.
- Calls on the U.S. government and other governments to register their
strong concern with the government of Nepal, to ensure the full protection of
those Tibetans now in Nepal.
- Urges the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) to provide
vigorous assistance and ensure the protection of the Tibetans now in Nepal,
who remain in vulnerable situations.
- International Campaign for Tibet, "Tibetan nun shot dead; other Tibetans
feared killed on way to Nepal," October 5, 2006, available at
- International Campaign for Tibet, "Image of nun's body in snow at Nangpa
Pass," October 11, 2006, available at
- International Campaign for Tibet, Dangerous Crossing: Conditions
Impacting the Flight of Tibetan Refugees, 2005, available at
- Romanian video footage, as posted on Pro TV, a private Romanian television network.